THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

A few technical questions about Brazil

Boston Guy
This topic is 8031 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hey Guys,

I'm intrigued enough by what I've been reading here about Brazil to be considering a short trip down just to see what the fuss is all about. If I do go, it'll most likely be in September, for four or five days. Then, if I like it enough, I might go back again later in the Fall.

However, one of the things that gives me the freedom to travel is being able to work from almost anywhere, using my laptop as my primary business tool. On most days, if I can get in a few hours of work from wherever, I can be free to do pretty much whatever for the rest of the day.

Because of what I do, Internet cafes don't have the software I need and would be a very poor substitute.

From what I've read here, it sounds like connections to the Internet from Brazil hotels are extremely expensive (i.e., US$3 per minute) and not recommended. There was also one note of caution about even bringing a laptop, because of concerns about theft.

So these are my questions:

(1) Have any of you brought a laptop to Brazil?

(2) Do you know what kind of connections are available? Are they generally dial-up connections only in hotels or do some hotels offer DSL-like connections?

(3) If dial-up, do you know whether US modems are likely to be compatible? Do they use a different phone connector? If so, I'll need an adaptor. (I've done a search online for this info, but so far have only found quite-old references.) From a software point of view, once connected, will a US modem likely work with the Brazilian phone network?

(4) Once connected, does AOL have a number in Brazil?

(5) My preliminary research indicates that Brazil has both 110 and 220 current, available in different parts of the country and that both can be available in Brazil. It seems like the 220 uses the round European plug. If that's true, I have the necessary adaptors and shouldn't have a problem from a power point of view. However, is this all true?

(6) Is the Marriott more set up to handle these kinds of things? Or are small hotels also reasonably equipped? All things being equal, I'd probably prefer to stay at a smaller hotel because doing so lets you get to meet more people, including the people who run the hotel. But the safety of my equipment is far more important to me than that, so if you think that smaller hotels will be a risky place to leave electronics, I'd choose something like the Marriott. Any recommendations?

Thanks, guys! I appreciate any info you can offer.

BG

Sorry guys, I may have just found a partial answer to one of my questions.

I was finally able to locate info on Brazilian modem connections. I found this "hard to locate" (their description) adaptor at Magellan. I'm posting the pic in case others are also wondering about this.

http://www.magellans.com/images//product/detail/et201d.jpg

It's only ten bucks from Magellan's.

BG

I don't know the answers to all your questions (I make do with Internet cafes) but in most of the larger Brazilian cities these days (including Rio and SP) the current is 110 and you use a standard U.S. style plug, so no adapters or transformers are needed.

In smaller places (and in a few larger ones) power is 220, and it's always a good idea to ask first, because Brazil has very clever sockets that permit plugging in EITHER American or European style plugs. If you don't know what the voltage is, you could fry something!

Thanks.

Your advice about asking what voltage is present at the outlet is right on target. Americans who are used to our omnipresent 110 should always check when traveling to avoid accidents. Plugging a 110-volt device into a 220 outlet will most likely fry the device and definitely poses a fire hazard.

Most laptops today have a dual-voltage transformer, so they're usually ok but it's good to be sure. It's not likely to be true with hair dryers, razors, etc. unless they're specifically marked as dual-voltage.

Before heading to Europe not too long ago, I bought a 220-volt converter with a built-in surge protector and European style round plugs. Since my laptop is dual voltage, I didn't need it for that. But I don't trust foreign electrical systems to be surge-free and having the surge protector between the electrical grid and my laptop was reassuring. It also has a surge protector for the modem line and it removes the 'tax codes' that some European countries add to their phone lines. Without getting rid of the tax codes on the line, a US modem probably won't connect. The surge protector was great and was quite inexpensive (I think I got it at Magellan's).

Thanks again for your reply. I appreciate it.

I don't know what special software you need to use, but the "cybercafe" (not very cafe-ish) at Siqueira Campos 43, Ste. 901 (it's upstairs in an office building) is friendly, there's usually someone who speaks English, and they may be able to help you hook your equipment into their lines, or whatever, so you can gain access at a non-egregious price and still use your software.

It doesn't cost anything to ask!

Another hotel that seems oriented to the business traveler (besides the Marriott) and somewhat cheaper is the Rio Internacional at Av. Atlântica 1500. Right on the beach, with views, two phones lines in each room. http://www.riointernacional.com.br You might want to check out their rates and inquire what they have available as far as Internet access. As for Marriott, besides the in-room access, don't they usually have a business center in the hotel with internet access? Possibly more reasonable than dialing from your room.

For local aol access numbers in Rio (assuming they have any) I presume you'd have to obtain those directly from aol before leaving. They're probably on aol's site, under customer service or some such. But they may charge an arm and a leg for dial-up access abroad; check the rates before you do this!

Guest Jaunty

Each of the cyber-cafes I used in Rio, on Avenida Copacabana,near the Palace Hotel, had AOL loaded on some of their computers, so local dial up must be available.

I am positive that Brazil must have AOL, but as others have mentioned, there will be a connection surcharge. I don't know what it would be in Brazil, but my 4 days in Canada cost me an extra $30 or so for that month. But when I was in Italy, there was no surcharge, and Paris had one, but it was cheaper than Canada. So go figure!

Guest Tomcal_

I have brought my laptop each time,as \i also do business when away, no problems and the Marriott now has high speed access, |I get on aol with no problem, just that if you use the local connection it is expensive, my last trip my phone bill at the \marriott which was all internet was $700.US

i leave my laptop in my room or bring it up to the roof top pool where yesterday there were three others with their laptops there.

never was concerned with theft, don~t know if i would feel that way in one of the smaller hotels though.

>Tomcal --

>

>Do you know how that $700 breaks down? I.e., what part is

>AOL, what part is Marriott's service charge, what part is

>local phone time, etc.?

Tri: The AOL surcharge is tacked onto your AOL monthly bill, so none of the $700 could be from AOL. That charge must be the cost of phone calls from the hotel (they must charge a per minute fee even for local calls).

Thanks for the info. :-)

I do stay at a lot of Marriott's and use the high-speed connection wherever it's available. (When, oh when, will Marriott realize that Canada is part of North America???)

Usually the charge for the high-speed connection is around US$10 per day. I'd assume it's around the same in Brazil?

I understood your note to mean that you ran up a bill of $700 on your prior visit for connections through the phone (i.e., a dial-up connection), not with the ethernet connection. Is that correct?

Also, connecting to AOL through an ethernet connection should not incur ANY additional AOL surcharges... those are supposed to be strictly related to phone connections.

Finally, one last question about the Marriott in Rio, if I may. I just checked their rates and they were quoting around $250 per night. While that's standard for many US cities, it seems rather high for Rio, based on the other info here. But, of course, if it meant the difference between having my laptop stolen or not... or even avoiding high AOL phone surcharges... :-)

Thanks again and thanks to the others who have replied here.

BG

Guest Tomcal_

The $700. on the previous visit was for local access and Marriott surcharges, not aol. now with high speed access no problem.

I will make this brief as it is 2:00 in the morning and just got back to the room from the suanas!!! more on that in the other post. I highly, recommend the Marriott if you want to pay the higher rate then charged by the other local hotels. If ammenities are not that important then stay at the California Otheon which is next door to the Marriott(i think they share a common wall) LAShowbiz is staying there and said it's fine, but the marriott has tons of security staff, pool, good gym on roof top, excellent location to saunas and restaurants and beach. I have been using points(american express) so haven't paid their rate, about they do charge American rates for a Rio hotel. but it is definitly first class, 2 restaurants, business center, everyone working there knows your name by the first day, great concierge service, etc.

• 1 month later...

The cheapest internet is in the basement of Club Israeli. You even get coupons for half rate. Club Israeli is near the Youth hostel, a few blocks away from Rogers, but in an avenue parallel to Avenida Atlantica. I'll look for the address next time.

Archived