THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Hotel in Zurich

Guest dicodave
This topic is 5996 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On weekends, Marriott Hotel has good rates. Rooms are spacious by European standards. Located on Neumühlequai, a few blocks from the central station. Last year, there were a bunch of English soccer fans staying at the hotel and they were a lot of fun. I didn't hook up with anyone but the possibilities were there.

There are lots of hotels in Old Square (where Patagonia is located) and you should be able to bring guests with you. But the trouble is the rooms are small and the beds are twin size.

A word of caution. If you're traveling in early June, Switzerland is one of the venues for Euro 2008, so be prepared for the crowd and for the high hotel prices.

Baur Au Lac, at 519USD a night they better be discreet!

And Brother Jakobsen is right on spot, June will be difficult to find any room. (BTW, the sauna is called Paragonya Wellness Spa. And don't hire any Romanians, they are consistent rip-offs and are banned from the sauna)

At current exchange rates $500 a night hotel rates are not uncommon in Switzerland. Never on the cheap list to begin with, the current parity of the swiss franc and dollar has raised even hotels not in the same class as the Bauer au Lac into this range. I just paid $550 a night for a hotel in Geneva, and it definitely was not in the Bauer au Lac class. For comparison, Le Richemond in Geneva, which is in the same class, lists rates from $540 to $11,000 per night for a date I picked at random a few weeks from now. Also, the original poster did ask for a LUXURY hotel.

"""Also, the original poster did ask for a LUXURY hotel."""

Exactly, which is why I mentioned the Baur au Lac.

An alternative of a lesser degree might be the Hotel Adler.

While we stayed there in (much) younger (backpacking) days as a comfortable bed&breakfast, it's a great location which can be had for about 300US.......

http://www.hotel-adler.ch/default-sE.html

Guest Deweywop

>"""Also, the original poster did ask for a

>LUXURY hotel."""

>

>Exactly, which is why I mentioned the Baur au Lac.

>An alternative of a lesser degree might be the Hotel Adler.

>While we stayed there in (much) younger (backpacking) days as

>a comfortable bed&breakfast, it's a great location which

>can be had for about 300US.......

>

>http://www.hotel-adler.ch/default-sE.html

What do people get out of luxury hotels that I'm missing? Mind you, I've stayed at some pretty high end hotels on other people's money. But even then, I don't see the value. Sure, the gym and flower arrangements and staff uniforms are nice, but If I'm on business, I'm usually too tired and grumpy to enjoy any amenities. If I'm on a pleasure trip, I just don't stay in my hotel that much, nor would I want to. I'm out and about as much as possible.

As between paying $500 for a hotel room and paying $100 (or even less) + buying a new pair of Ferragamos, an extra meal at Per Se, or a home theater component -- every single day! -- I (though I'm not materialistic) would prefer the goodies.

It has occurred to me that some people travel not to see other places but to experience other social classes. For $500 a night, they can imagine living like a Hollywood star or Saudi prince, that is, visit the thread count, sight-see the artwork in the lobby (and constantly fishing for dollar bills to baksheesh servile and ingratiating people). I could see that if the hotel is an architectural or design showcase or has character or history. But then I can stay in my hometown to do that.

And can someone explain to me "turndown service"? Am I so invalid as to need someone to roll back my bed linens for me??? Does turndown service mean I could have requested a special two- (three-) legged bedwarmer to be tucked into my turned down sheets, and I didn't know it?

Archived