THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

St. Petersburg vs. Moscow

J.T.
This topic is 7083 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have never been to Russia but would like to spend a few days there in July. Which is the better city to visit, St. Petersburg or Moscow? As a tourist, St. Petersburg and its fabulous architecture appeal to me. But as an inveterate sex tourist, I hear Moscow is the better place. I am enthralled by the idea of Russian soldiers hustling and would like to indulge with as many and as much as I can. Any advice?

мать Россия (mahtbe russki)? I find myself to have a certain attraction to anything Russian, be it guy, girl, ballet or isms. I stumbled onto the culture after falling for a young Russian girl at the young age of 14, working as a lifeguard at a west hollywood pool...a reason today while my psychologist makes six figures. Needless to say by 16 I had became a scholar of the language and its culture and the young Russian girl went on to become part of a successful television series, with interest of only being friends not lovers with a virgin, not for long mind you, 16 year old stallion. HA!

Though not relevant to your question, it's an interesting story of how I learned Russian and one that I do enjoy telling. It tend provoke the addictive combination of intrigue, sorrow and excitement, which is a deal closer to a flashy smile and great kiss at the end of the night.

I've spent over 7 months teaching English in Russia, most of the time being in St. Petty's. It really all depends on when you make your trip. Nothing can top St. Petersburg in the summer, 20 hour days in the peak of the solstice are nothing less than spectacular. The nightlife there is not one for the weary of heart, as it usually doesn’t start until 1 or 2 o’clock in the morning peaking at around 5ish and not ending until 1 or 2 in the afternoon the next day. The lads there are awesome! Usual full of students during that time of year but the natives there are equally attractive and have an affinity towards foreign gentlemen.

Moscow on the other hand is quite Eastern European. I found the social scene is very traditional, thus lot of it underground. However if it is the Russia in Russian you are attracted to, you are sure to find your gent in this historic city. In any rate I am sure the country will treat you well.

будьте хорошо

From my experience, Moscow is by far the better of the two choices both on sex and on tourism. The city is just like a dream--beautiful, fun, filled with many friendly people who would like to practice their English with you. Don't miss the lovely architecture there too--lots of wonderful buildings ranging from the medieval buildings in the Kremlin to ultramodernist/constructivist offices and apartment blocks (yes, yes, there are some hideous Soviet era apartments too). I was standing on the sidewalk admiring one of the constructivist buildings as a young family was coming home there; they invited me into their apartment saying I needed to see the interiors too, and served me coffee, cake, and brandy and we had a very nice forty-five minute visit/chat. Check out William Brumfield's book A History of Russian Architecture if that is your thing. The Tretyakov Gallery is one of the world's finest museums and the Puskin Museum is terrific too. The Ishmilova Park flea market is the best such place I've ever been in the whole world.

Now, as to sex: the open plaza-like area in front of the Bolshoi Theatre is famous for daytime cruising. There will definitely be plenty of cute guys there on a day with nice weather, but be careful as there are children there too (oftentimes with their parents in tow to pimp them!). I found the soldier/hustler scene to be pretty active with the guys usually hanging out around the entrances to the central Metro stations. I picked up a waiter at my hotel's restaurant and he told me that any young waiter at any restaurant which caters to foreigners is available! That's why they take those jobs, he said. I saw some graffiti such as "Dima, Sex Boy" with a phone number; though I never personally called such numbers, I know people who did and who had loads of fun.

Though Moscow is comparatively a clean and safe city, one should always be careful as crime and violence there have increased since the fall of the Soviet Union. I was there only once during the Soviet days and it was extremely safe then (one of the worst things a Soviet citizen could get in trouble for was having foreign currency, so a tourist simply would never be robbed back then).

• 2 weeks later...

Archived