THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Prague Questions

Santiago
This topic is 7225 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hi,

I've read all the postings about Prague and have a few questions for those who have been there:

1-One poster mentions that Pino's and Escape have rooms to rent for an hour to take the boys. Has anyone else heard or used these rooms?

2-Is there a hotel nearby either Pino's, Escape or Drakes that is within walking distance rather than paying for constant taxi's to a main hotel?

Any help would be appreciated.

James

I was in Prague several years ago and recall that Drakes had a couple of rent by the hour rooms that were clean and accommodating. My Connecticut friend used them quite extensively and had only good reports. Don't know about the other two places.

There were some short stay guest houses near Drakes but I'm not sure if they are still open.

Back then I used the Spartacus Gay Guide and got some invaluable information from it. Nowadays, of course, you can just search the Internet and come up with the information you need.

Prague is a wonderfully vibrant city and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

You would also do well to search this MC for any information on Prague. I recall that there was a thread about increased crime in Prague and its worth checking into to.

As in any big city in Europe (or anywhere, for that matter), let common sense prevail.

However, under no circumstances, when exchanging currency, should you use any place other than a reputable institution. In Prague, the street vendors were notorious for ripping off unsuspecting tourists. And the Thomas Cook conversion places, at least back then, were charging felonious conversion rates. With the dollar at an all time low in Europe, do some shopping around.

The American Express Travel Office is centrally located in Prague. OR, do as I did and change currency BEFORE you leave for Prague. The AMEX offices here can do that quite easily.

Have a happy and safe trip.

hd NYC

Unfortunatly Drakes (more later), Pinochios and Escape are all a good 20 minute walk apart.

There is a good hotel, that I use, 5 mins from Escape, called the Andante. Their website address is http://www.andante.cz/ You will find that they are half the price of some big chain places, like the Marriot, and it is very convenient for everything.

I believe there are some rooms above Pinos but I have never used them. I would rather use my own hotel. The area around Pinos is rather rough and a long way from the centre, so its not the area to stay.

Escape is rumoured to have a room but I have never seen it and in any case the Andante is next door.

Now Drakes. If its still open its sh1t.They used to charge non Checz people £10 just to get in! Often there would be no boys there at all. There is a room near the bar that is OKish. I have never heard of any rooms above it. Anyway it is very unlikely that you find anyone there to take to a room!!

Go once, if you have to, then avoid.

BTW I would not go until April or May. Its the quiet season and there wont be much around plus it will be freezing cold. Otherwise the best place you will ever visit from the architectural point of view.

Gerefan

Hi

In Prague, you can find a room in Drakes (rent for one hour) but it is sometimes difficult in Drakes to be in the room with you since it is pretty dead all times, except on sunday nite at 8 pm when there is a free buffet and some Drakes models show up.

In the same building of Pino, there is an hotel (same management). Rooms can be rent to the hour I guess, or longer. Some are really cheap (800 Kr I think).

There is nothing close to Escape that I know. You can rent a Toucan apartement in Prague : some are close to escape, others to Pino.

Enjoy your time in Prague. If you want additionnal info, pm me.

I've spent a great deal of time in Prague, and the reccos above are 100 percent correct. Particularly the heads-up about Drakes being not worth the effort. My favorite spots are Pino's (rentboy bar with plenty of talent) and Stella (just a chill, neighborhood gay bar with a very available crowd). Should you be into it, and smart enough to steer clear of trouble, there is a very active street-cruising scene in the train station, especially between 4 and 6 pm on weekdays. Military boys, etc. Prague has more than its share of crime, so don't be stupid.

The recent postings about Prague are very helpful indeed. Thanks fellas for the input.

I am, quite naturally, very disappointed that Drakes has deterioriated to such a low point. 8-10 years ago it was a great place to visit, with a thriving "trade" and even the crude attempts at male strip shows were certainly worth a good laugh.

But alas things change and I'm glad that we at least have this forum to exchange current information.

I also recall that the train station was notoriously cruisy, but the characters, for the most part, back then, appeared to be a bit "edgy" to say the least. Some of them were actually emigrants from other EE countries that had just come out of the communist era and Prague was viewed as the economic jewel for making money.

Like the other posters say, exercise common sense and caution and be careful. As fascinating as Prague is, it is not without its fair share of big city problems and issues.

Have a safe and satisfying trip.

hd NYC

Archived