THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Yowsa

Guest skrubber
This topic is 6605 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This brings up an interesting question for legal brains out there, if you upload a picture, I see where that would/could be a violation of copywright. But what if it is just a reference link to a picture where the picture is served up dynamically at time the web page is rendered. Assuming of course that picture being referenced is on a server legally somewhere. Is that a violation of copywright to reference the picture?

Any webmasters out there familiar with UDDI can probably explain much better the mechanics, but I'm just curious about the legality.

Of course I have no idea what is used behind the scenes at this site, just curious about the above scenario.

>This brings up an interesting question for legal brains out

>there,

IANAL, but I've been running websites for a few years and I've spent a few bucks on legal opinions.

>if you upload a picture, I see where that would/could

>be a violation of copywright.

There's no would/could invovled. You have permission to use it, or you don't. If you don't, it's a violation of copyright law.

>But what if it is just a

>reference link to a picture where the picture is served up

>dynamically at time the web page is rendered.

See above. It's black & white. You have permission from the owner to use it or you don't.

I know this is an unpopular stance because "everyone knows" everything on the internet is free. But that just isn't so.

This site's liablity is nill because we do not allow uploading images. We're not hosting the violation, and courts have ruled time and time again that sites are not responsible for the actions of their members. The onus is on the poster when the lawyers come knocking.

We do, however, have an ethical obligation to our fellow webmasters when confronted with a clear violation of their terms of use. If we want OUR terms respected, we must respect theirs.

Archived