THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

411 on Jason Dean

mansniffing
This topic is 7488 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

>I would be happy with a snapshot. Love to see the pics don't

>know whey more guys don't show when they talk about someone.

>HUGS Chuck}( }( }( }( }(

Hi Chuck,

I'd be delighted to send pictures if someone would be kind and patient enough to teach me how. I have a pix of this Jason Dean guy that I'd be delighted to share.

ManSniffing :-)

Downloading from the net

If you find a pic posted anywhere on the INTERNET and want to share it with us, here's what you do:

Right click on the picture. A menu will scroll down.

left click on properties, and a window will open .

In the center of that window is a URL location.

highlight that URL (beginning with HTTP:// and then left click .

(to highlight, left click and hold while running your cursor over the URL address until it is marked (on my computer marking turns the address into a blue box)

right click on the highlighted area and a menu will scroll down.

left click on copy (which places the address on your clipboard)

When you open the window on the website you wish to post on, simply right click in the post box. On the scroll down menu, left click on paste, and the address will show on your post. You can then preview your post to see if the pic has come through. It always works better for me if the address is posted on a separate line. If not, repeat the process. I always find it easier to have both the post window and the pic window open at the same time. If you bury the address in a line of your post and any letters adjoin without a space between them and the pic URL, the pic won't show up.

You can also save any picture from the internet to your computer. I assume you already know how to do that, but if not, send me a private message.

The above info was shared with me from guys on this site. I simply pass along the favor.

Hope that helps. I think I told you the correct process, but if not, someone chime in to correct me and help this guy out.

Whew I am exhausted. ;)

RE: Downloading from the net

Just one clarification:

Some websites forbid this sort of remote linking (also known as stealing bandwidth). The "nice" once will only display a graphic saying that linking is prohibited. The "less nice" ones will return nothing so you'll see the infamous red x. The very worst cases are pictures from membership sites that will cause a login dialog just from displaying a thread here. Moderators will generally delete those posts.

YMMV

When in doubt, click PREVIEW before posting your message.

Guest Tampa Yankee

>Everything should be pretty much the same on the Mac, but

>instead of right-click you should opt-click. (Hold the OPT --

>also known as Splat -- key while you click.)

ummmmm... its the Apple Key or the screwed up clover leaf :7

>ummmmm... its the Apple Key or the screwed up clover leaf :7

Yeah, that's the one. The highly stylized cumshot key. :9

(I *swear* Mac people used to tell me it was the Splat key.)

>How do you accomplish the same goal with an apple?

>>Yikes, I am now over my head and WAY over my pay grade. From

>>what I have always heard, everything about the apple is easier,

>>but I haven't a clue

Yes, it is easier. And you don't have to right-click or opt-click or splat-click or Apple-click or anything-click or hold down any other key.

1. Put the cursor anywhere on the picture. Press and hold down the mouse. After a second or so a menu will appear. The cursor/finger will be pointing to "Open this Link." (That's why if you just give a quick click you will be taken to the address of that link.)

2. Still holding the mouse down, scroll down in the menu to "Copy this Image Location" and release the mouse with the cursor/finger on that. Now your "cursor-pen" (clipboard) is automatically armed with the full address of that image in the proper form, and you will not be taken anywhere else when you release the mouse. (No finding, highlighting, copying, etc.)

3. Go to the box where you compose your post (or to any other place where you want to put the address of that image) and paste the address in, using your preferred method of pasting as in any other use.

Finish your message and post normally.

Just be sure that there are spaces on each side of the address, and that no other word or character, including a period or comma, is touching it, as jackhammer already said above. Also, as jackhammer said, it's safest to put the address on its own line, though that is not absolutely necessary.

Now look at what else you can do in the same way. Explore that menu and you will see such goodies as "Save this Image as..." If you release the mouse on that one instead you will get a Save dialog box so that you can choose where to save the pic and what to name it. Presto downloading.

There are also other things there that you might want to try. Be careful to distinguish between "Copy/Save this LINK/LINK Location" and "Copy/Save this IMAGE/IMAGE Location." The former will get the *page* that the image is on, the latter will get just the image. Also be careful to distinguish between "Copy this Image" and "Copy this Image LOCATION" (same for "Save..."). Image is the pic. Image Location is the address of the pic. For posting you need the address, not the pic. For saving you want the pic, not the address of the pic.

If you want to eliminate the one-second delay in step 1, you can hold down the CONTROL key while you click, and the menu will appear immediately. (This is not the Option key or the Apple key.) But I find that doing that is more trouble than waiting the one second (it really is extremely fast), and it's an extra step to worry about if you are not a practiced user, as it seems you are not. The simplest is just to hold down the mouse. Holding down the Option key or the Apple key or the Shift key does nothing whatsoever in this operation, and is no different from just holding the mouse down without anything else. It's just extra unnecessary effort.

Enjoy.

>Yeah, that's the one. The highly stylized cumshot key. :9

>

>(I *swear* Mac people used to tell me it was the Splat key.)

PC users are gullible enough to believe anything... ;-) :7 :p

Guest Mikel

Thanks a million.

I'll have to play with all of this.

By the way...your directions are great. You could be a teacher pr write a manual or something!

Thanks again,

Mikel

>Thanks a million.

Glad to help. That's what this board is for.

>I'll have to play with all of this.

Enjoy.

>By the way...your directions are great. You could be a

>teacher pr write a manual or something!

Yeah, my mother wanted me to be a teacher, but I became a rock star instead. Go figure. :+

Guest Mikel

Okay, what am I doing wrong. I can copy a link, I can copy a quote, but I can't copy a pic. I hold the mouse down. I scroll down to "copy pic". I release. I go yo email. I place cursor in text. I go to edit and scroll down to paste. I release. I just hear a beep.

What now, professor??!!

>Okay, what am I doing wrong. I can copy a link, I can copy a

>quote, but I can't copy a pic. I hold the mouse down. I

>scroll down to "copy pic". I release. I go yo email. I

>place cursor in text. I go to edit and scroll down to paste.

>I release. I just hear a beep.

>

>What now, professor??!!

OK.. read the assignment again. And there will be a test on it on Tuesday.

There can be a lot of things wrong, and you didn't give enough info to narrow it down enough.

And if you are using the dreaded AOL as your browser/email program, all bets are off.

The beep tells you that you are doing something wrong.

You said >I scroll down to "copy pic".

The assignment said:

Also be careful to distinguish between "Copy this Image" and "Copy this Image LOCATION" (same for "Save..."). Image is the pic. Image Location is the address of the pic. For posting you need the address, not the pic. For saving you want the pic, not the address of the pic.

Are you trying to Copy the Image into the message or Copy the Image Location?

You said >I go yo email.

Are you trying to paste a pic into an email or into a post here? There is (usually) a difference.

It also depends on which email program you are using and which board you want to post on. Some allow you to include pics and others don't. Also, if pics are allowed, the way of including the pic can be different. I was talking about posting on this board. For that and in many other places you need the address (Image Location). But some may allow you to insert the pic (Image) itself. Some email programs may allow you to insert a pic into the text, either directly or as an address or both, and some may allow only one of those. But mostly if you want to send a pic in an email you need to send it as an attachment, and just about any email program these days will allow that. That means you first have to snare the pic and Save it to your hard disk, and then find the place in your email program that allows you to append an attachment. There will be a box where you have to enter the name of the pic (the one that you gave it when you saved it). Then click Upload or Done or OK or whatever the corresponding button says.

Also there are some sites from which you cannot Copy or Save a pic, because they have put a transparent covering over it. Think of it as a picture in a frame with glass in front. You can't touch the picture with your mouse, even though it looks like you are. This is not all that common, but it does occur. For example, Meet Local Men is like that. Is that where you are trying to get the pic from?

Diagnostics:

1. Try again and be sure you are trying to Copy this Image Location, not Copy this Image.

2. Try Save this Image as... to see if you can do that. (Save to your hard disk, not into any email or post.)

3. Try a pic from a different site, just to see if you are doing the operations correctly or if you just happened to stumble onto a site that won't allow you to steal the pics from it.

4. If you are doing email, save the pic to your hard disk (with SAVE..., not Copy) and include it as an attachment.

See if any of that helps.

Guest Mikel

Okay...sincerely, you are a great teacher.

My mistake wasn't that I was saving the location. I guess it has to be saved to hard drive as an attachment for email. Otherwise the site doesn't allow copying. I don't have AOL...I have a cable email.

I have succeeeded in copying a pic to my desktop...but I just tried to copy it to this message and couldn't. Yipes, I fail your test!

Mikel

>Okay...sincerely, you are a great teacher.

>

>My mistake wasn't that I was saving the location. I guess it

>has to be saved to hard drive as an attachment for email.

>Otherwise the site doesn't allow copying. I don't have

>AOL...I have a cable email.

>

>I have succeeeded in copying a pic to my desktop...but I just

>tried to copy it to this message and couldn't. Yipes, I fail

>your test!

OK. Take a deep breath and relax.

In the menu you will see that there are 2 different items:

--Copy this Image Location (which captures the address/URL of the pic)

--Copy this Image (which captures the pic itself)

There is also Save this Image as...

You might want to:

--Save the pic on your hard drive for future enjoyment

--Send the pic in an email

--Put the pic on the web in a post (like here) or in some other way

--Put the pic into a text document (like a Word file) that is not on the web

All of these are accomplished differently.

To Save the pic on your hard drive for future enjoyment: in the menu go to Save this Image as..., and then choose a name and location for saving the pic.

To Send the pic in an email: you have to send it as an attachment, which menas that you first have to Save the pic on your hard drive as above, and then send that file as an attachment, whichever way your email program requires you to set that up.

To Put the pic on the web, whether it is in a post like here, or on a webpage, or anything else involving the web as the destination: in the menu go to Copy this Image Location, and paste the location into the post or webpage. What you are pasting will not be the picture; it will be a line of text starting with http://. You cannot paste the picture directly (like by using Copy this Image). In the box where you compose your post you will see only a line of text. But if you click "Preview message" down at the bottom you will see the pic (rather than the line of text) in the preview version of the post. If you don't see the pic, then something is wrong.

To Put the pic into a text document: in the menu go to Copy this Image, and then paste the image into your document. Word and most other word processors will allow direct importation of pictures in this way.

For posting you have to paste in the address, not the pic.

>I have succeeeded in copying a pic to my desktop...

OK. That was using either Save this Image as... or Copy this Image.

>but I just tried to copy it to this message and couldn't.

That's right. You can't copy the pic to a post. You have to include the address in the post, and the software will do the rest.

Guest Mikel

You are just a master teacher..I don't care how old you are...go get certified. I can't help but believe that a lot of students will some day remmber you as the BEST teacher they ever had! Teach music, teach computers, teach something, JUSTTEACH!

Mikel

Well, I can't "go get certified" until at least 2012, after I am released. x(

I asked the warden last year if I could open a school here, but he turned me down. I think he's just jealous and is being spiteful because my cute young cellmate that he obviously has the hots for is more interested in me than in him. Maybe with your recommendation he would reconsider.

Archived