THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

HELP!!! re: Theatre Piece

Guest HOPPY
This topic is 8662 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Can anyone help me. I'm in NYC working on a Serious musical theatre piece about a gay burlesque house similar to the Gaiety. Does anyone have connections with any of the dancers who would be willing to talk with me for research. I want to hear their side, their stories, their feelings, etc. There's no money at this point, so they would have to be willing to donate about 30 minutes "in the name of Art!" (STOP LAUGHING!) I'm being consulted on the project by a HUGE name in the business, who won't let me use his name, and we are supposed to have it in a first reading workshop by the end of the summer. ALSO, in addition to the dancers, I need to interview some of their "clients" for the stories, emotions, etc. Anonymity will be totally respected and I will sign a confidentallity agreement. ONE MORE THING. Does anyone know if any of the dancers have any serious theatre training and are possibly interest in performing in the show. PLEASE HELP!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

This is a very interesting proposition. I have many stories about Gaiety dancers, as I have goten to know some of them fairly well over the years. Most of them have pretty good stories, and many of them could have enough material for their own "theatre piece"

I find it curious that someone is working on this project without having done much research yet. The best "theatre pieces" always come from people who really know about what they are writing about, and have a passion for it.

I have a couple of suggestions. You should first hire NYObserver as a consultant. He could tell more stories than anyone, and he knows a lot about the dancers. He is an expert, and he certainly has a passion for hsi work. Assmaster might also be the source of some interesting info. There are some great threads on this board about Gaiety dancers and experiences that many people have had. There was a great "memories" thread not so long ago. Read that material for free research. There are stories about Big Thomas, the wonderful Federico, and the hateful Kirk, and many more. All would make great characters for your "theatre piece"

The dancers would probably be very happy to talk to you, but they are all working for the money, so I expect that they would want compensation for their time. Mabe Mr. "HUGE name in the business" should come up with some cash. You should at least be willing to take them to dinner.

I would be happy to share some of my stories, but, again, I would at least expect dinner.

Many Gaiety dancers would make excellent performers in a "theatre piece", but could probably make a lot more money dancing at the Gaiety than performing in an off-off-Broadway show. (I asume that a "theatre piece" is an off-off-Broadway sort of thing.) So you just may have to hire some of the waiter/actors that New york is filled with.

I am anxious to hear comments from the many experts that visit this board.

The Naked Chorus Line

I am sure Mr. HUGE name has had plenty of experience with the boys, so he might start off with his own contacts and experiences.

You should consider paying the guys and getting signed releases to all rights to anything they tell you. Otherwise, after you win your Tony award for best book, they will surface and sue you.

RE: The Naked Chorus Line

Now, now...stop being bitchy...actually, Mr. HUGE name has had no experience with the boys but is extreeeeemely titilated by the whole thing which is why he got involved. You're absolutely right about the releases. That was the first thing my lawyer said. Stay in touch

I am a little suspicious of this thread. The only reason is because I work in the entertainment industry and happen to know very well about a similar theatrical production except non-musical that was in development for the past two years that failed miserably long before opening night. I've become friends with a young man who was in the cast. I feel really bad for him and other kids in the show who were patronized into thinking it was going to be some cutting edge drama. They worked very hard on it and the theatre world is fickle, fast, and furious. Last I heard it was going to try playing at P.S. 122 but at this point, it's considered a joke worse than Jeff Stryker's "Doing Hard Time". If you really had a "big name" backing you up, then why would you need to post a message here? And the idea of some of the actual Gaiety boys performing in a musical piece does sound ridiculous. Then again you could try making it a comedy. Now I have heard about the possible adapation of a book that was recently written about The Gaiety for the stage or big screen. In my opinion, it would take more than one "big name" to pull it off and it would still be considered a monumental risk. It reminds me of the disastrous film, "Studio 54". In the beginning it was a great idea but in the end trying to sell stories about the "dark side" and "underground" to the public tanked. Certain subject matter can't be mainstream enough to be successful.

Hi ready4 boy!

I'll respond to your post, point by point and try and shed a little light on my project.

>I am a little suspicious of

>this thread. The only

>reason is because I work

>in the entertainment industry and

>happen to know very well

>about a similar theatrical production

>except non-musical that was in

>development for the past two

>years that failed miserably long

>before opening night.

Not familiar with this project and have no affiliations with it.

>I've

>become friends with a young

>man who was in the

>cast. I feel really

>bad for him and other

>kids in the show who

>were patronized into thinking it

>was going to be some

>cutting edge drama. They

>worked very hard on it

>and the theatre world is

>fickle, fast, and furious.

I only have a book writer, composer and lyricists involved. It's not my style to get people involved without explaining the exact risks and status of a project. I resigned as co-producer from a TV project because my partner was misleading cast members in much the same manner as you mentioned. I find that by being honest with people in these situations, they are aware of the problems and difficulties of actually getting things done; and everybody works harder realizing the challenge they face. Also, if things don't work out, as very often happens, the dissapointment is easier to accept.

>Last I heard it was

>going to try playing at

>P.S. 122 but at this

>point, it's considered a joke

>worse than Jeff Stryker's "Doing

>Hard Time".

OY VEY! Hopefully my effort has a bit more "artistic integrity".

I'd like to think it may touch someone or at least enlighten them a bit.

>If you

>really had a "big name"

>backing you up, then why

>would you need to post

>a message here?

I wish I had never mentioned my fucking "big name". As you can see, I'm constantly being challenged about that. He is not backing me up, or directly involved in the project as anything other than a friend, consultant, and "expert in the field". He has agreed to mentor, guide, and advise me, AND if he likes what he sees he will help take me to the next step. I mentioned him only to give some credibility to the project. It looks like it's turned into a liability. I posted here for the exact reason the post states. I'm trying to get some research material. I'd prefer to get some "real" information, instead of ending up writing stereotypes. It would be nice to maintain some degree of "honesty" instead of projecting my personal views or fantasies.

>And

>the idea of some of

>the actual Gaiety boys performing

>in a musical piece does

>sound ridiculous. Then again

>you could try making it

>a comedy.

LOL - no argument there, however, ya never know. I know one of the Gaiety boys who I've actually photographed, seems to be pretty serious about an acting career to the point even studying in London. My fantasy is that some major undiscovered performing genius started dancing at the gaiety to finance his artistic career, instead of waiting on tables. Call me stupid. Call me naive. "The only dumb question is the one that's not asked."

>Now I

>have heard about the possible

>adapation of a book that

>was recently written about The

>Gaiety for the stage or

>big screen. In my

>opinion, it would take more

>than one "big name" to

>pull it off and it

>would still be considered a

>monumental risk. It reminds

>me of the disastrous film,

>"Studio 54". In the

>beginning it was a great

>idea but in the end

>trying to sell stories about

>the "dark side" and "underground"

>to the public tanked.

>Certain subject matter can't be

>mainstream enough to be successful.

>

You're more up on things than I am. My focus has less to do with the "dark side" or "underground", and more to do with feelings, emotions, and the interesting ways in which human beings help each other. I don't really see this going "mainstream", but hopefully the themes are universal enough to touch somebody.

Thanks for the response. Although I'm not getting the overwhelming and positive input that I had expected, I've gotten some excellent feedback. In another response, I was accused of being on a "high horse". I'm truly sorry if that's the way I'm coming across, and I blame it on my writing style - or lack thereof.

Thanks again.

HOPPY

Archived