THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Gaiety closing?

Guest jasper
This topic is 8849 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Guest jasper

I read elsewhere on the net that the gaiety is closing at the end of July. Anyone know if this is really true or just another ugly rumor. Fabian just started dancing there this weekend. What a body!!

Guest LITTLEANTNEE

We've heard rumors like this one for years. If it's true this time it will truly be a pity. The City of New York has practically rolled up the streets at night. There is nothing like Gaiety except Gaiety here now. Most people have to travel to Canada, Baltimore, or California to play a little. Pray this isn't true.

Guest Jake

I had lunch with one of next week's dancers today. He said that he heard a few months ago that the building was sold and Gaiety management was desperately looking for new space. As of now they apparently haven't found any. I cannot say that this is true or untrue, just what I was told by one of the performers.

Guest LITTLEANTNEE

We've heard these rumors about once a year, for the last five years (including that the building has been sold). They have never been true before, but that doesn't mean this isn't true now. I pray not.

Re: Gaiety Closing

I read about this on The Gaiety website. Denise is the only one who knows what's happening for sure. I have a feeling she's not saying. She really is the only one who can tell us anything, and it's not easy getting information from her.

Guest assmaster

RE: Playtime in Baltimore?

Not much in Baltimore.....DC maybe.

The best cities for BAD BOY/ stripper bars

are

TORONTO,MONTREAL,ATLANTA and sometimes depending on city/county politics there are MIAMI and Ft.LA LA.

The Happy Tap in Windsor Ontario can also be fun.

I hope New York Recovers from the purges of Giuliani while I can still afford BAD BOYS and can Still GET IT UP.(and in)

RE: Re: Gaiety Closing

LAST EDITED ON Jul-10-00 AT 04:08PM (EST)[p]This is strange. There is no offical Gaiety website. There was only a site by some club kid with an ax to grind. But I would not put any faith in any information from that website.

This is also not the first time we have heard "The Gaiety is closing any minute" rumors. I suppose one of these years it will be true. But rumors are exactly that, just rumors.

Maybe NYObserver can do some detective work and find out if anything is really going on. C'mon NYO, we all know that you have a special rapport with Denise. See what you can find out.

And if it really is closing, I want to be there for the finale de finales!

I was at The Gaiety last night and heard from more than one of the dancers that the building has indeed been sold. Denise is playing dumb and not saying anything for some reason. At this point it sounds like more than just a rumor.

Contrary to public opinion, I have no pull with Denise. I've heard a lot of rumors too and I hope they aren't true. I suspect if the building has been sold that it would be very hard to get a new location and we'd all have to move to Montreal. Given that the Gaiety is the only club of it's type in New York City, one must wonder how that evolved. I know that dancers are booked into September, but that may be in hopes of finding a new location. I suspect that even if Denise knew the place was closing, she would book dancers just to make sure word didn't get out (but maybe if we knew it was closing, we'd go more often before it closed?)

Anyhow, I know no more than anyone else.

Guest LITTLEANTNEE

Sounds like the same old rumors again. Denise has kept Gaiety open for so long by changing with the changing times. She is a very astute businesswoman. My guess is that if Gaiety is closing, she will at least make an attempt to move first. The problem is the regulars require a non-descript, mid-town location. This could be the biggest stumbling block, although some of Eighth Ave. has recently regained its pre-Disney flavor. I hope all waorks out in the end.

Guest assmaster

Someone should put together an Alumni Night....bring back all the great boys just for one night......she could pack the place......Love to see Tony Marquis,Dino,Rocky,TJ,Doug,and so many more.....there may be a few who might be better to keep their clothes ON these days but it would be fun to catch up with them anyway.

RE: Gaiety Closing

The idea of a reunion is terrific. I've been going there for at least 26 years, and I have lots of wonderful memories of the guys, a few amazing shows on the runway, and lots of wonderful private shows in the backroom, where you could get a great handjob (and maybe a lot more) for 30 to 50 dollars. And considering you don't get much more than that now for 200 from most of the guys, it was a great deal. There must be enough of my protein soaked into the walls and floor there (both in the back room and along the aisle at the right side of the auditorium) that you could construct another one of me.

I remember watching them raze the building where the ShowPalace stood. For several weeks, you could see the old mirrors and other wall coverings, now open to the sky. Then it was all gone! It was weird to see the demolition of that place (somehow sexy in spite of its sleaze). It will be even weirder to see the Gaiety give in to the wrecker's ball (if it does), with its air of respectability that kept it alive for so long.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

If the Gaiety is about to be a victim of the wrecking ball, I hope Denise will reserve my seat for me. After all, I've probably paid 100 admissions in the last year, she owes me that. I think I'd also like the punch bowl set.

If they are holding a tag sale, I can think of a few boys I wouldn't mind making a bid on.

Oh, such a sad thought.

Maybe now I will be able to afford a vacation :)

If all this is true - and I still have my doubts - we all owe NYO a great debt of gratitude. I'm sure he's responsible for a Denise's income skyrocketing and his column has helped many dancers get that vacation that has eluded him. I'll buy the punch bowl for you, buddy!

Guest LITTLEANTNEE

I, too, remember and lament the passing of the late, great Show Palace. The sole reason for my attendance at Gaiety is after Show Palace closed there wasn't much left to do in NYC. I first went to Gaiety after a disappointing Gay Pride (Stonewall Anniversary) and didn't return for a year. Now I may be faced with the same feelings of loss I encountered after the closing of Show Palace. As I write this, I feel I sound insane -- after all Show Palace was incredibly sleazy...and that's what I miss most. NYC has become so incredibly sanitized, as others' remeberences of Gaiety's past attest to. Long Live Gaiety!

Archived