THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Vienna, Austria - rarely disappoints

coriolis888

I returned to Vienna today. 

I arrived around noon today and I thought I would take that sometimes wonderful walk along the river where hustlers are found, when the weather is nice.

Sure enough there were about fifteen hustlers on the river walk today, offering a get-together for a fee.

In an earlier post, I explained how to find this hustler spot in Vienna (Stadt Mitte) (between the Hilton Hotel and Intercontinental hotel).

Be aware, none of the hustlers are American and most do not know any English.  But, a handy cell phone translation  can solve that awkward status.  Many of the hustlers know some basic English but not much.

As I entered the river walk, I saw an especially handsome guy.  He is from Amsterdam but, luckily, he also spoke German which allowed us to talk and strike an arrangement.  

On Friday, I plan to return to Cafe Rudiger, a gay hustler bar (see link) 

https://www.travelgay.com/venue/cafe-rudiger/

Despite one negative review, the place has been fun the last couple of years with lots of hustlers and activity on premises.  

I will write a post if Rudiger's is as good as it was the past times I was there.

I suspect you already know this if you're a frequent Vienna visitor, but Therme Wien is a great place to visit. It's not a gay sauna, but most people in the men's area are usually gay. So you get (a) the benefit of an actual spa with great facilities to relax in, (b) a great assortment of beautiful naked men to look at and (c) plenty of (group) play time at no extra charge if you're smart and careful.

9 hours ago, thedanNYC said:

I suspect you already know this if you're a frequent Vienna visitor, but Therme Wien is a great place to visit. It's not a gay sauna, but most people in the men's area are usually gay. So you get (a) the benefit of an actual spa with great facilities to relax in, (b) a great assortment of beautiful naked men to look at and (c) plenty of (group) play time at no extra charge if you're smart and careful.

I have never been there nor heard of the place.

I will try to check it out while I am here.

Hopefully, I will find it as nice as you found the place.

For anyone wondering why females and/or male hustlers (prostitutes) in Austria are ignored by the police, I am adding a citation that discusses the history and fact that prostitution is legal in Austria provided the prostitute is at least 18 years of age.

In recent times, during the COVID epidemic, there was prohibition against it but now prostitution is alive and well in Austria. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostitution_in_Austria

11 hours ago, coriolis888 said:

Yes, many are Eastern European.  I spoke only to the guys that interested me so I do not know the ethnic background  of the others.  If I had to guess, I would assume they are Eastern European.

The guy I met from Amsterdam was not Eastern European and he spoke very good German even though Dutch is their usual language. 

Most others I tried to talk with knew zero English, German or Portuguese.

The only Brazilians I saw in Vienna were short time visitors.  I did not see them at the river.  They advertise in Planet Romeo in the Vienna section of that site.

The Brazilians that travel around the world expect a higher fee than is asked by the guys in the river section of the park.  Therefore, you will not find Brazilians in the park or along the river.

The amounts asked at Rudiger's is also lower than Brazilians can earn through Planet Romeo. 

Edited by coriolis888
spelling error

On 10/5/2022 at 12:09 PM, coriolis888 said:

On Friday, I plan to return to Cafe Rudiger, a gay hustler bar (see link) 

https://www.travelgay.com/venue/cafe-rudiger/

@coriolis888, I have not been able to find Cafe Rudiger in Google Maps (searching by name).  The address provided in the travel gay.com link shows what looks like an abandoned building with graffiti on Google Maps street view.

After you visit on Friday, I await your report and would also like clarity on its location.  I will be in Vienna for my first time next summer, and want to make sure I visit this place.

15 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

@coriolis888, I have not been able to find Cafe Rudiger in Google Maps (searching by name).  The address provided in the travel gay.com link shows what looks like an abandoned building with graffiti on Google Maps street view.

After you visit on Friday, I await your report and would also like clarity on its location.  I will be in Vienna for my first time next summer, and want to make sure I visit this place.

Your message encouraged me to look into the status of Rudiger's Cafe/bar.

15 hours ago, Vegas_nw1982 said:

After my getting no answer on the telephone, I did a google search and found a similar Google street photo as you described.  The paintings shown on the building are not considered "graffiti" - it is considered art work.  Many companies pay to have those type drawing on the exterior of their buildings.

Searching farther, I came up with the Rudiger site and found this notice - "Cafe Rüdiger ist seit Ende Juli 2022 geschlossen." which simply translates to mean that the facility has been closed since the end of July of this year. 

That bar has been around for many years.  It was popular and generally had a lot of business.  A few years back, I did not care for the place for various reasons. 

Then, about a year or more ago, the clientele of the bar became more mixed and the atmosphere was fun.  There were live shows and a lot of action in the back of the bar and countless hustlers available.  

Despite the notice, I will go there tonight to see for myself if the long-established fun bar is really gone.

It will be quite a shock to have to say "auf wiedersehen" to such a fun place.

On 10/5/2022 at 3:09 PM, coriolis888 said:

Be aware, none of the hustlers are American and most do not know any English.  But, a handy cell phone translation  can solve that awkward status.  Many of the hustlers know some basic English but not much.

Interesting that they would end up in Vienna with no foreign language skills at all. So many young people I meet around the world know a little English now. It's taught in many of the better schools, as a default International Language and those from small villages who aren't taught in school will learn basic phrases through American Films.

32 minutes ago, pubic_assistance said:

Interesting that they would end up in Vienna with no foreign language skills at all. So many young people I meet around the world know a little English now. It's taught in many of the better schools, as a default International Language and those from small villages who aren't taught in school will learn basic phrases through American Films.

I don't know how many American films they watch, but the international language on the Internet is English, which is where most young people pick it up now.

1 hour ago, Charlie said:

I don't know how many American films they watch, but the international language on the Internet is English, which is where most young people pick it up now.

Yes. Thank you. A very good point. I have been traveling for decades and yes....it WAS film and now more likely the internet.

Last night I went to Rudiger"s.

The facility was closed as stated in the internet site for the place.

Today, a new notice appears on the Rudiger web site saying that the main bartender of Rudiger and some of the other Rudiger Cafe employees now work at a different nearby gay restaurant called Alte Lampe.   

The email address and phone number for Alte Lampe are shown on the Rudiger web site.

I tried calling but the phone does not answer - it is a cell phone number.

I sent an e-mail to Alte Lampe asking about the new facility and asked whether the new facility will have similar entertainment that was found at Rudiger Cafe. 

So far, my e-mail has not had a response.

One bizarre thing about the new facility (Alte Lampe) is their reviews on their site.  Some reviews say the facility has hustlers but that the hustlers are too aggressive.  Other reviews describe events then call the place Rudiger's.

I might go out to the replacement facility but not until I get either a response to my e-mail or get someone to answer the cell phone listed for Alte Lampe.

On the bright side, the hustlers in the Stadt Park this afternoon were plentiful and charming. 

http://cafealtelampe.at/

cafealtelampe@gmx.at Cafe Rüdlosence the end of July 2022

The ALTrestaurant opens on Sept. 1, 2022 in the

OLD LAMP “ZENTAGASSE 30 – 1050 Vienna” for the Viennese gay community.

The waiter Vasili and his team are looking forwarcal ALTE LAMPE opening hours: Tue – Thu 7 p.m. – 12 a.m

Zentagasse 30 Fri & Sat 7 p.m. – 1 a.m

1050 Vienna Sun & Mon day off.

Mobile: 0650 3063160

cafealtelampe@gmx.at

http://cafealtelampe.at/

Edited by coriolis888

thanks for the reports @coriolis888 ....great reading.....the hustler park sounds fascinating.......

I searched for your earlier post on directions to the hustler area, but found nothing.....do you have a link or something to the post?....thanks.....Google Maps shows a park and river between a Hilton and the Intercontinental, but, alas, nothing about hustlers!!

Edited by azdr0710

3 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

thanks for the reports @coriolis888 ....great reading.....the hustler park sounds fascinating.......

I searched for your earlier post on directions to the hustler area, but found nothing.....do you have a link or something to the post?....thanks.....Google Maps shows a park and river between a Hilton and the Intercontinental, but, alas, nothing about hustlers!!

Here is a link to my earlier post discussing the hustler area along the river walk:

azdr0710, My directions shown above (in my copied post from a different thread), are accurate but could be confusing to someone not familiar with Vienna or the Stadt park.

In my earlier directions, I wrote that one should use the Hilton Hotel and the Intercontinental Hotel as land marks for finding the river walk where hustlers are found when the weather is not too cold.

To make it easier finding the area, walk directly to the Intercontinental Hotel.  From the front entrance, look toward the Hilton Hotel, which is past the park..  Then walk across the street to the park.   

At the park entrance, easily find your way to the concrete steps that lead down to the river walk.

It is along this river walk where you will find hustlers during warm weather.  Keep walking toward the Hilton Hotel that is about a mile or so away. 

Many hustlers you might not find attractive while many you will.  The hustlers are not body builder types.  They are better described as next door types.

Again, I have never seen or encountered any Americans hustling on the walkway. 

Very few hustlers on that walkway or in the park know much of English.  Most appear to be from Eastern Europe.

I am confident that they are proficient in their own language and also in other Eastern languages near where they are from. 

Just because they do not know much English, should not be a surprise to anyone.  They are generally poorly educated and fairly young, like in their early twenties.

As a comparison, many immigrants from South America (and other countries) come to the United States but they know little to zero English.  No one thinks a thing about their lack of English or other languages.

I think the above alternate directions explain better where the river walk hustlers are found.

Initially, I gave directions that involved walking through the beautiful park.  The above directions are more simple.

Yesterday was another nice weather day in Vienna. 

Therefore, I decided to visit the river walk and park. 

It was a splendid day.

Edited by coriolis888

4 hours ago, azdr0710 said:

Funny - do you think that Google maps will show how to find hustlers?

Also, the park is huge.  There will be hundreds of people (families) in the park during the day (and fewer at night).

The hustling is low key within the park (on benches) but obvious on the river walk.  However, some hustlers on the park benches were sometimes chatty. 

Thank you for the excellent report @coriolis888.

Without seeming naive or too nosey, may I ask what the young guys in the park will commonly do and what they usually charge? 

Also, I assume you’re not having sex in the open air…so do you recommend a sauna, or a decent hotel that rents hourly rooms, for the assignation? Or in your experience, are the young men sufficiently trustworthy that you take them back to your hotel?

9 hours ago, MscleLovr said:

Thank you for the excellent report @coriolis888.

Without seeming naive or too nosy, may I ask what the young guys in the park will commonly do and what they usually charge? 

Also, I assume you’re not having sex in the open air…so do you recommend a sauna, or a decent hotel that rents hourly rooms, for the assignation? Or in your experience, are the young men sufficiently trustworthy that you take them back to your hotel?

Your assumption is correct - no open air sex.

I can see a possible negative experience for clients who do not know or understand a Slavic language. 

The negative experience might occur because of the language barrier.  

Some of the hustlers speak a little German but not much.  Most speak only Slavic languages.

Most are super friendly. 

I have used a cell phone translator to "fine tune" the meeting arrangements I had. 

Most of the hustlers in the park and along the river are guys in their early to middle twenties.  Most are poorly educated.  Most look good (handsome) but most are poorly dressed.  Dressed poorly but not like a homeless person.

Most are clean and wear clean clothes.  I do not know where they sleep or what kind of sleeping arrangements they have or how they keep their clothes clean.

I suspect there is a group of foreign hustlers that take care" of each other like in showing where to meet clients to make money and/or where to get a place to sleep.

Although some have offered to spend the night with me, I always decline out of possible problems at the hotel I use.

The hustlers know the "hourly" hotels where a room can be rented on a short-term basis. Those rooms cost between 20 and 25 euros per hour.  The hourly hotels are within walking distance of the park.

As an alternative to renting an hourly room, there is a large gay sauna nearby called Kaiserbrundl.  

https://www.kaiserbruendl.at/

Many people like that gay sauna.  I personally do not care for it.  It is a beautiful facility that includes a nice restaurant with a decent menu and fair food charges.  One can take a hustler to this sauna but the price to use this sauna is double than if you went to an hourly hotel (two sauna entrance fees - one for you and one for your guest).

As to what the guys do - it depends on them and on you.  Since you must rely on a mechanical translator for most communications, all you would need to do is ask through the translator.

I have never had a problem with the hustlers being "into" being with a male.  The hustlers are highly experienced in pleasing clients and hopeful for repeat business.  

The asking price of the hustlers is ridiculously low.  I have had them ask for forty euros - some ask for fifty euros.

Initially I agree on the low fee.  If the experience is good, I give them more.

Comparing fees in Vienna - - the river/park hustlers ask for a small amount.  Hustlers advertising on "rent-men" ask for three hundred euros or more.  Hustlers advertising on planet Romeo ask for around two hundred euros or sometimes more.  

After the fun is over at the park or river, Vienna has some of the finest museums in the world.  Vienna also has an enormous amount of historical culture.  Much to see here.

Great city.  I visit here often.

I hope this answers your inquiries.