THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Attachment Limit

BuffaloKyle
This topic is 996 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So I like to save pictures to my desktop before attaching them to a post on here. I noticed that they are all stored under My Attachments and that there is an eventual limit to how much I can post. Right now I'm at:

"You have used 6.66 MB of your 1.95 GB attachment limit."

It would be quite awhile till I reach my limit but basically why is there a limit? Theoretically if I did reach my limit I could just make a new profile and keep posting that way. I know there's a storage limit to my private message inbox as well but I don't mind deleting old messages. I just would hate to start deleting my gallery posts on here to free up attachment space. 

It’s so that I can ensure we maintain enough space in our bucket. If you come close to the limit, I can increase it. I just don’t want the space to fill up without me being aware. Remember… I have potentially THOUSANDS of user accounts that can be uploading data. Obviously not everyone uses uploads but this gives me a way of being able to monitor usage and grow the bucket as needed. (I just don’t want to make us pay for idle storage and I don’t want to run out. It’s a juggling act.)

By the way… absolutely feel free to upload files. Uploading prevents broken links later and it’s better for SEO. I have no problem at all with people uploading and tried to give big quotas to start. But as I said, there is room to grow. When I up the quotas, I’ll also increase our storage bucket commit to make sure we always have space.