THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Bangkok's Food Scene

Lucky
This topic is 942 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

My favourite restaurant in the world is in Bangkok, Le Normandie at the Mandarin Oriental. I have been there countless times and it never disappoints. Fine food, fine wine, flawless service and a beautiful ambience. The view overlooking the river is to die for. I know in Thailand we should be eating Thai but this is French cooking at its finest. You lose Brownie points if you faint when you get the bill at the end (joke) but be consoled you only live once.

Edited by sydneyboy

My favourite restaurant in the world is in Bangkok, Le Normandie at the Mandarin Oriental. I have there countless times and it never disappoints. Fine food, fine wine, flawless service and a beautiful ambience. The view overlooking the river is to die for. I know in Thailand we should be eating Thai but this is French cooking at its finest. You lose Brownie points if you faint when you get the bill at the end (joke) but be consoled you only live once.

Wow... just looked at the New Year's Eve menu. In Canadian dollars, $1,060 for 8 courses plus another $375 for 5 wine pairings.

Wow... just looked at the New Year's Eve menu. In Canadian dollars, $1,060 for 8 courses plus another $375 for 5 wine pairings.

I agree that is top dollar. Top quality restaurants in prime locations in major cities including Sydney charge hefty prices for occasions like New Year’s Eve. I should add in non COVID times. Le Normandie is fabulous and should be a must for foodies visiting Bangkok.

Hotel food in BKK is lovely, but it's pedestrian. You can get great fine hotel food anywhere.

If you want to eat in Bangkok, you eat on the street. Very few other places in the world have street carts that have Michelin stars.

In the past I've done a nice mix of street food tours, but feel comfortable enough now to venture out myself. The main rule of thumb is that if you see locals lined up to eat somewhere, get in that line and figure out the menu. It's going to be good.

Ben, one food stall got a Michelin star, and she wants to give it back!

https://www.eater.com/2018/1/9/16865246/michelin-star-bangkok-raan-jay-fai-street-food-vendor

I've eaten at Jay Fai a few times and although it's become VERY popular since the award, she's still putting out incredble food.

It's got to be tough having so much attention so quickly. It's a small place to begin with and she cooks everything herself. Getting a reservation to eat there takes about 30-50 days of advance.

I hope she continues to mitigate the workload because her culinary skills are impressive.

• 1 year later...
On 2/24/2022 at 11:08 AM, azdr0710 said:

while returning from a club late one evening, travel partner and I encountered a colossal amount of rats roaming the streets and sidewalks where the food carts had been set up hours earlier.....somewhat startling to see so many of them.....

I mean, it's Bangkok.  NYC has the same issue (although it's neighborhood dependent).

Hong Kong, same issue.  Paris, same issue.  London, there too.

When you're an old city, rats are going to be there.  They're scavengers.  They don't come when a lot of people are around.  They come when the carts have packed up and left scraps.