THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Netflix: The Politician, starring Ben Platt

Cooper
This topic is 1451 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

The Politician is a new 8 episode show on Netflix. It stars Ben Platt as Payton Hobart a wealthy HS student running for class president. His goal is to attend Harvard and become President of the US. His mom is played by Gwyneth Paltrow who has a famous tennis star as her lover.

Ryan Murphy has put together another HS show & includes some familiar faces in the cast like Jessica Lange & Bob Balaban.

Ben Platt made a name for himself in Dear Evan Hansen where he took home a Tony for Best Actor. Ben also has a hit album out & sings a few of his songs in The Politician.

I’m a big fan of Ben Platt and have been enjoying the show.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/764591532/the-politician-digs-for-the-drama-in-high-school-politics

Edited by Cooper

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Politician is a new 8 episode show on Netflix. It stars Ben Platt as Payton Hobart a wealthy HS student running for class president. His goal is to attend Harvard and become President of the US. His mom is played by Gwyneth Palrow who has a famous tennis star as her lover.

Ryan Murphy has put together another HS show & includes some familiar faces in the cast like Jessica Lange & Bob Balaban.

Ben Platt made a name for himself in Dear Evan Hansen where he took home a Tony for Best Actor. Ben also has a hit album out & sings a few of his songs in The Politician.

I’m a big fan of Ben Platt and have been enjoying the show.

https://www.npr.org/2019/09/27/764591532/the-politician-digs-for-the-drama-in-high-school-politics

Ben Platt is singing at Radio City Music Hall on Sunday, September 29.

Finished season 1 of The Politician. It has quite a diverse cast covering the LGBTQ community & several nationalities. Also, no marriage works in this show. It either ends in divorce or there’s no 2 parents around. So many family issues.

Some of the episodes directed by Helen Hunt were well done, others just make you scratch your head and say, WTF. Example, the episode where a new teenage male character is introduced who all he wants to do is masturbate. And, everyone seems to know he’s doing it. Relevance? To show that a Freshman in HS is only interested in sex & not who becomes the school’s president.

The final episode takes you from the West Coast to NYC. It sets the stage for Season 2 (if there is one). Two famous actresses are introduced who will come in contact with Payton Hobart and his posse.

I couldn’t help but notice the similarities of Ben Platt’s character to Evan Hansen. His character deals with similar issues such as suicide, lies, confusion, and a mother who makes him feel very special even when he fucks up.

Edited by Cooper

Finished season 1 of The Politician. It has quite a diverse cast covering the LGBTQ community & several nationalities. Also, no marriage works in this show. It either ends in divorce or there’s no 2 parents around. So many family issues.

Some of the episodes directed by Helen Hunt were well done, others just make you scratch your head and say, WTF. Example, the episode where a new teenage male character is introduced who all he wants to do is masturbate. And, everyone seems to know he’s doing it. Relevance? To show that a Freshman in HS is only interested in sex & not who becomes the school’s president.

The final episode takes you from the West Coast to NYC. It sets the stage for Season 2 (if there is one). Two famous actresses are introduced who will come in contact with Payton Hobart and his posse.

I couldn’t help but notice the similarities of Ben Platt’s character to Evan Hansen. His character deals with similar issues such as suicide, lies, confusion, and a mother who makes him feel very special even when he fucks up.

The episode with the kid who was continually jacking off was the only one I didn't care for and is an episode they could have skipped entirely.

It was great seeing Laura Dreyfuss in it and wish they would have had more of the cast members from Evan Hansen in it.

I'm hoping to see more of Bette and Judith Light in season 2 and hope Ben sings more in Season 2.

The episode with the kid who was continually jacking off was the only one I didn't care for and is an episode they could have skipped entirely.

It was great seeing Laura Dreyfuss in it and wish they would have had more of the cast members from Evan Hansen in it.

I'm hoping to see more of Bette and Judith Light in season 2 and hope Ben sings more in Season 2.

It's good, but it's also got so many overdone hallmarks of Ryan Murphy that it's a little off-putting (for me).

That his character randomly sings feels shoehorned in.

It almost feels like Murphy is attempting a pastiche of a Wes Anderson film.

It's not bad... It's just not anywhere near as good or creative as what Anderson does.

• 2 months later...

Nominated for a Golden Globe, television show, musical or comedy.

Just binge watched it.

There are pieces of it I love e.g. the compassionate, handsome shadow character. The cast is impressive. But I agree with the prior comment, how there are parts of the show where you go "wtf".

I'll give S2 a try, but honestly I'm not feeling it for Payton.

Nominated for a Golden Globe, television show, musical or comedy.

Just binge watched it.

There are pieces of it I love e.g. the compassionate, handsome shadow character. The cast is impressive. But I agree with the prior comment, how there are parts of the show where you go "wtf".

I'll give S2 a try, but honestly I'm not feeling it for Payton.

I am definitely going to take your suggestion about binge watching. Loved the line, "I don't understand why calling that gay man was such a scandal. That's what gays do. Munch butts and celebrate Halloween."

I am definitely going to take your suggestion about binge watching. Loved the line, "I don't understand why calling that gay man was such a scandal. That's what gays do. Munch butts and celebrate Halloween."

I've already forgotten that line. Which character said that?

It isn't that I recommend binge watching this show. That worked for me on a chilly weekend day.

I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Murphy and slightly surprised about the Golden Globe Nom. (But it's the Golden Globes, so yeah.....)

I've already forgotten that line. Which character said that?

It isn't that I recommend binge watching this show. That worked for me on a chilly weekend day.

I'm not a huge fan of Ryan Murphy and slightly surprised about the Golden Globe Nom. (But it's the Golden Globes, so yeah.....)

I believe it was the Jessica Lange character (I hope I got the name of the actress right).

Edited by TruthBTold