THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Woodstock: Three Days That Defined A Generation

This topic is 1791 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw this documentary this week about how the music festival that helped to change (among other things) the outlook of many people of that age - young and old. It gave me a lot of information about how the festival was put together and how much could wrong. Foremost, I did not know that the original plan thought that maybe 50,000 people would show up and that actually almost 10 tens that many did. In fact the increase in people made the town it was held in (Bethel) the third largest city in New York state. So a lot of elements that make up planning for a festival had to be adjusted if they could (like food, toilets, security, medical teams, etc.) Security was headed up by a guy named Wavy Gravy who headed up the "Please Force" a contingent of his followers. He personally used a kazoo to maintain order. The festival ran out of food on the first day and so the people of area donated as much food as they could and it was cooked at the site. It was then handed out by many of the attendees. Of course, everyone knows it rained heavily on the third day and some people started to leave but many stayed to see some of the most famous bands, i.e., Joe Cocker; The Band; Crosby, Stills & Nash; and most importantly in the end Jimi Hendrix.

https://www.woodstockdocumentary.com

I remember cousins who lived on Long Island talking about it in July 1969. So the event was not in any way a secret, but few people expected so many people,or such well known performers.

Janice Joplin's performance in Forrest Hills, New York during the summer of 1970 was rained out. Luckily, the next night was beautiful, and Janice sang then instead. Talented woman, gone too soon.

Janice Joplin's performance in Forrest Hills, New York during the summer of 1970 was rained out. Luckily, the next night was beautiful, and Janice sang then instead. Talented woman, gone too soon.

I may have mentioned having gone back to music grad school and subsequenlty earning a master's degree recently. A couple of times I had my cell phone in my pocket on vibrate during a rehearsal, and would check it discretely at a pause when attention was on another section, mumbling "Dialing for dollars is trying to reach me".

After a couple of blank looks, I decided to take a survey - out of 7 talented and hardworking music major undergraduates, only one of them had even heard of Janice Joplin, and that one only had a vague memory of the song "Benz", and hadn't really ever seen the dialing for dollars syndicated show on TV. I suddenly felt much older !

I may have mentioned having gone back to music grad school and subsequenlty earning a master's degree recently. A couple of times I had my cell phone in my pocket on vibrate during a rehearsal, and would check it discretely at a pause when attention was on another section, mumbling "Dialing for dollars is trying to reach me".

After a couple of blank looks, I decided to take a survey - out of 7 talented and hardworking music major undergraduates, only one of them had even heard of Janice Joplin, and that one only had a vague memory of the song "Benz", and hadn't really ever seen the dialing for dollars syndicated show on TV. I suddenly felt much older !

I know what you mean. I mentioned Joni Mitchell to my three nieces and they had no idea who she was. I was shocked. Particularly as she produced music well past the late 60's.

My dad had a triple album Woodstock LP. My older brothers used to get stoned and listen to it. The groups I remember most from that album were Jefferson Airplane, Santana, and Janus Joplin.

Janis Joplin drank from a bottle of southern comfort during the concert.

Still, she was a force of nature, who complained that men were difficult to find. She was more out there in her singing than Grace Slick with Jefferson Airplane. It was the summer of 1970.

I also saw Chicago, Jethro Tell and later Peggy Lee sing in Central Park in NYC.

Janis Joplin drank from a bottle of southern comfort during the concert.

Still, she was a force of nature, who complained that men were difficult to find. She was more out there in her singing than Grace Slick with Jefferson Airplane. It was the summer of 1970.

I also saw Chicago, Jethro Tell and later Peggy Lee sing in Central Park in NYC.

I am imagining Peggy Lee in Central Park. :cool: Must have been a special experience.

Janis Joplin, btw. Not Janice. I know, I know...but I think it's important.

You missed one... :p

Janus

Steve Martin, in Born Standing Up, noted that the first club he worked at had a sign in the kitchen that said "ANYONE GIVING MONEY TO JANIS JOPLIN BEFORE HER LAST SET IS FIRED! AND IF THEY ARE A CUSTOMER, THEY'RE 86'ED!"