THIS IS A TEST/QA SITE

Noises heard in the gym

Eddie Morales
This topic is 2106 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

one thing that drives me crazy is the noises that men make at the gym. By this I’m referring to the grunts and the heavy breathing they do when they’re lifting weights, parcitularly when they’re struggling to lift them towards the end of their set. It reminds me so much of the noises they make in the bedroom and it drives me nuts when I’m there. Who else has thought of this?

When guys are doing heavy lifting or taking their sets to 'failure', it is a natural reaction for someone to grunt and to breath heavily. That said, wearing head phones will completely drown out any noise in the gym. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that playing music can actually enhance your workout and motivate you. I can't ever remember working out without listening to music.

When guys are doing heavy lifting or taking their sets to 'failure', it is a natural reaction for someone to grunt and to breath heavily. That said, wearing head phones will completely drown out any noise in the gym. There is also a lot of evidence to suggest that playing music can actually enhance your workout and motivate you. I can't ever remember working out without listening to music.

I understand that that’s the natural noises one would make, I was just saying that guys actually can sound sexy when they do that because the noises remind me of sex noises. If that connection is a stretch I get it haha

I guess I haven’t had enough gut busting sex to make the connection. I’ve grunted and groaned a bit myself on occasion. What gets me are guys groaning while pumping iron their daughters could manage.

For the record I’m plugged in at all times. But the Pandora or Spotify channels I use have baroque chamber music. It has a steady beat that nearly mirrors my heart rate enabling me to control rather than fight the weight. Try it!

deliberately dropping the barbell like some badass is the "noise" that bothers me the most.....

I definitely agree with @bigvalboy that motivating music can definitely help.....I forgo the headphones, though, because I want to stay aware of my surroundings......

that heavy breathing/grunting is only occasionally heard in my mainstream gym.....when it does sound like a dude is getting off, a few people around will look and chuckle a bit....

I really think that some guys do it to draw attention to themselves... especially the slamming of weights. Of course if they are HOT I have akready checked them out. Still as @bigvalboy rightly notes it is a natural reaction when one goes to failure so I don’t make it bother me.

When I practiced dentistry I also noticed that most bodybuilders had a tendency to grit, grind, and clench their teeth when they lifted. I even found myself doing it at times. Again it is probably an unconscious natural reaction, but while grunting might irritate some folks it won’t result in any damage. Clenching or grinding can cause damage to one’s dentition and I always made sure to bring that to the attention of anyone who had a tendency to grind their teeth whether they were a bodybuilder ot not.

As for music, try Rossini overtures and especially when doing cardio. There is a rhythmic pulse that is the hallmark of his style that really gets you up an running. The overture to La Gazza Ladra can be quite infectious, but to mention the final gallop from William Tell! For lifting the music played in most gyms is usually sufficient for me to get me in the groove.

As @g56whiz notes baroque can work as well... especially Vivaldi!

I really think that some guys do it to draw attention to themselves... especially the slamming of weights. Of course if they are HOT I have akready checked them out. Still as @bigvalboy rightly notes it is a natural reaction when one goes to failure so I don’t make it bother me.

When I practiced dentistry I also noticed that most bodybuilders had a tendency to grit, grind, and clench their teeth when they lifted. I even found myself doing it at times. Again it is probably an unconscious natural reaction, but while grunting might irritate some folks it won’t result in any damage. Clenching or grinding can cause damage to one’s dentition and I always made sure to bring that to the attention of anyone who had a tendency to grind their teeth whether they were a bodybuilder ot not.

As for music, try Rossini overtures and especially when doing cardio. There is a rhythmic pulse that is the hallmark of his style that really gets you up an running. The overture to La Gazza Ladra can be quite infectious, but to mention the final gallop from William Tell! For lifting the music played in most gyms is usually sufficient for me to get me in the groove.

As @g56whiz notes baroque can work as well... especially Vivaldi!

An extremely popular CT provider got me to wear a tooth/mouth guard when I'm at the gym ;)

At cross-fit gyms, the floors are covered in rubber matting, so dropping weights is no big issue. Even I do it, especially with deadlifts at the end. It only bothered me when I went to chain gyms with people who either didn’t know how to lift properly or were show-offs. I have been told that I always hum.

one thing that drives me crazy is the noises that men make at the gym. By this I’m referring to the grunts and the heavy breathing they do when they’re lifting weights, parcitularly when they’re struggling to lift them towards the end of their set. It reminds me so much of the noises they make in the bedroom and it drives me nuts when I’m there. Who else has thought of this?

Thank God I am not the only one

In the bedroom? More like in the bathroom when slightly constipated.